Project Image

About Chamba

The spectacular beauty of Chamba has made this place dear to nature lovers. Located on the banks of River Ravi and at an altitude of over 900 meters above sea level, Chamba makes an excellent holiday retreat. Here are some important destinations in Chamba.
• Akhand Chandi Palace
• Champavati Temple
• Lakshmi Narayan Temples
• Chamunda Devi Temple
• Bhuri Singh Museum


Akhand Chandi Palace

Project Image

Built between 1747 and 1765 by Raja Umedh Singh, the Akhand Chandi Palace was refurbished by Raja Sham Singh with the British help. The building’s architecture is a fine blend between the Mughal and the British style of architecture. The building was later sold to the Himachal Pradesh state government in 1958, who converted the building into a government college and a Library.



Champavati Temple

Project Image

Champavati Temple was built in the memory of princess Champavati by King Sahil Varman around 935 AD. The temple is built in the Shikhara Style and is known for its elaborate stone carvings. The walls and the doorways of the temple are intricately carved and the temple is thus considered among the most exquisitely designed religious monuments in Himachal Pradesh.


Lakshmi Narayan Temples

Project Image

Built in the 10th century by Raja Sahil Varman, the Lakshmi Narayan Temples are few of the major pilgrim spots for the Vaishnavites. The temples are again exemplary of the Shikara style of temple architecture in India. An image of the Garuda, the mount of Lord Vishnu is installed on a pillar outside the temple. The temple roofs are decorated with Gold plated pinnacles that glisten with the sun light.


Chamunda Devi Temple

Project Image

Chamunda Devi Temple was built by Raja Umedh Singh in 1762 and is a wooden temple with a gabled roof. The temple’s architecture is a marvelous cross between the Indian and British styles and is dedicated to Chamunda Devi an incarnation of the Goddess Durga. The temple is elaborately designed with wood carvings and figures of various deities inside the complex.


Bhuri Singh Museum

Project Image

The museum was established in 1908 to honor Raja Bhuri Singh, the king of Chamba. The construction of the museum was proposed by J. Ph. Vogel, an Indologist who wanted the museum to preserve the various ancient inscriptions that contain the history of Chamba. The Bhuri Singh Museum houses a huge number of paintings, manuscripts, antiquities and artifacts and is a must visit.


Write a Comment