About Nehru Zoological Park
Nehru Zoological Park, Hyderabad is one of the first zoos in the Country to display the animals in open moated enclosures with no barriers in between the visitors and the animals. The zoo was established with this concept and was opened to public viewing on 06.10.1963. Since then the zoo kept on adding new facilities. The Lion Safari Park which was established in 1974 and Nocturnal Animal House established in the year 1982 were first of its kind in the country.
At Present this zoo is displaying animals belonging to 140 species numbering 1334. During this period this zoo received Common Marmosets, Spoon Bills from Alipore Zoo, Kolkata. Pig Tailed Macaque, Himalayan Black Bear, Leopard Cats from Sipahijala Zoo, Tripura and Mouse Deers from Sri Venkateshwara Zoological Park, Tirupati. There are other animal exchange programmes belongs this Zoo and Patna & Mysore Zoos in the pipe line.
During this period most of the animal enclosures and visitor facilities were revamped. Efforts were made to make the zoo a plastic free area, A Plastic regulation counter was opened at the entrance gate which provides paper bags in place of polythine bags. Additional booking counters, Visitors Shelters, resting areas were created for te visitors.
This Zoo is spread over an area of 380 acres and a visitor can't see all the enclosures in one day on foot. Therefore bicycles were introduced in the zoo, and the visitors can hire these bicycles and can go around the zoo. This is helping the visitors in visiting the zoo completely.
• Reverse Osmosis drinking water
• Toilets & washrooms
• First aid
• Benches & shelters
• Battery operated vehicles
• Toy Train
• CNG safari van
• Parking area ( 2 & 4 wheelers)
• Food court & cafeteria
• The popular Toy Train provides joy ride to the visitors especially for the children.
• Food court –just beside train station: Multi cuisine.
• Rhino canteen –near Rhino enclosure: snacks, cool drinks, tea & coffee.
• Vijaya Dairy Parlor –Giraffe enclosure: Dairy products.
• Maharaja Canteen –Parrot World: Food & Bakery items.
Battery Operated Vehicle
• Noiseless & Eco- friendly battery operated vehicles for the visitors to go around the Zoo.
• One can see several animals and birds during their ride.
• Special concession provided for school children.
• Bicycles can be hired at Rs.20/- per hour.
• Riding bicycle in Zoo can be great fun.